Five Things You Need to Know Today, April 30
Mitt Romney returns to Portsmouth; City Council to hold work session on school budget; another cool, sunny day in the forecast.
1. Today's weather: The National Weather Service is calling for a sunny day, with a high near 57. Northwest wind around 9 mph becoming south. On Monday night, there will be increasing clouds, with a low around 40. South wind between 3 and 7 mph.
2. Mitt Romney returns: Republican Presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney and U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-NH, are scheduled to make an appearance in Portsmouth near the Portsmouth Fishermen's Cooperative pier on Monday morning. Romney is expected to speak to his supporters at about 11 a.m. and Portsmouth Patch will have full coverage. Portsmouth Police are cautioning South End residents that there will be traffic delays and limited pedestrian access before and during Romney's visit.
3. School budget work session: The City Council is scheduled to hold a work session at City Hall on Monday at 6:30 p.m. where they will look at the proposed fiscal year 2013 school budget.
4. Vote in our Small Business Tournament: Voting in the Portsmouth Patch Small Business Tournament's 10th poll that asks Portsmouth residents to vote for the best hair salon/barber shop in the city until Friday at 9 a.m. There will be five more polls where Portsmouth residents will be asked to vote for their favorite businesses in different categories and the winners of these polls will then be pitted against one another until the city's best small business is ultimately chosen in July.
5. North span float out: In case you missed it over the weekend, be sure to watch our video of the final float out for the Memorial Bridge north span that took place on Saturday evening.